www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting WD Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaredDM
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Interesting WD Recovery Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thing I ran into today. Working on an old WD Caviar 32 bit IDE drive model WD2500JB-22GVC0. The drive had a clearly burned PCB, so I had to remove the U12 ROM and read it from another board. The interesting thing is that when I set up a donor PCB of the exact same revision (2060-701265-001 Rev A) it would just click and eventually spin down.

Finally I examined the ROM and found that it was Eagle family. In PC-3000 it doesn't actually break out the separate families of Caviar 32 bit IDE drives, but it does for SATA drives. So I grabbed a 2060-701267-001 Rev A SATA PCB (Eagle Family), wrote the ROM code to it, and it works like a charm.

Seems the drive prefers the SATA PCB to the IDE board it originally used.

Specializing in RAID Recovery Services
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: