www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double Success Stories!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldskoolcade
Posted once

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Double Success Stories!! Reply with quote

Big thanks to everyone on this forum (and to the Mod for adding me). Just wanted to share my good news stories from two separate hard drive failures.

I had 2 drives die on me; one about 2 years ago and the other a few weeks back. I'd kept both drives on account I knew the issues weren't platter related but something to do with the PCB. Problem being, when my original drive died, there wasn't nearly the same amount of available PCB's to fix the problem. My recent drive failure was a recertified WD cavier drive. So as I started to research it, that's when I came across this board and all the amazing stories and links. Through this site, I found info on how to repair my WD drive, and also a suggestion for Kevin's site at PCB solution for my old Maxtor drive.

Kevin was AWESOME! He had a board that looked like a match, and he helped me determine whether or not it would likely work. He had the board out to me in a matter of days, and with a straight swap, I powered it up and IT WORKED! Home movies and pics that my wife and kids figured were gone for good, were quickly being copied to a new drive just in case. So by all means, check out Kevin's site at onepcbsolution.com

Inspired by that recovery I set out on my WD quest. I managed to find a board on Ebay that looked like a match to mine, and once I got it, realized that I was going to need to swap out the U12 chip. Thanks to some great tutorial videos on here, I fired up a heat gun, swapped the chip and booted it up...SUCCESS!!! Again, I'm just copying all the files onto a new drive just in case this one cacks again...

So if you're in the same boat as I was, keep at it! If it's a PCB issue, have faith that you just might be able to save the drive long enough to get your info off.

Thanks again to all who visit these forums with their great tips and suggestions!

cheers
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: