www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wanted WD10EADS - 00L5B1 pcb + firmware transfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacmanpc
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: wanted WD10EADS - 00L5B1 pcb + firmware transfer Reply with quote

Hello all, i have an issue with my main 1TB data drive not spinning up any more and is totally dead. I would really like the recover the data, the drive is

MDL: WD10EADS - 00L5B1

WWN: 50014EE1ACA81DDD
DATE: 17 SEP 2009
DCM: DHNNNT2MFN
LBA: 1953525168

upon removing the PCB (2060 - 701590 - 000) i noticed scorch marks on the SMOOTH chip which i believe is the motor controller.

I was wondering if and how i could go about getting a replacement PCB and or firmware to match and if that would allow me to get my data back.

Thanks in advance
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: wanted WD10EADS - 00L5B1 pcb + firmware transfer Reply with quote

In your case a firmware transfer would involve moving the Marvell MCU chip (big "M").

The SMOOTH chip is a combo spindle and voice coil motor (VCM) controller. It also controls the onboard DC-DC converters that provide the supply voltages for the MCU, SDRAM, etc.

If the damage to the SMOOTH motor controller is on the motor side, then the chances are good that the DC-DC converters will have survived, and that their loads will also have avoided damage. A detailed photo would help in this regard.

In short, you need to determine whether the motor's windings are intact, and whether the preamp is likely to be OK. If either are bad, then your data recovery costs will be high. If you have access to a multimeter, I can help you make the necessary measurements.
Pacmanpc
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some pics of the pcb sorry they aren't the best, used crappy camera and light sucked.

seems as if the damage is opposite side to motor =\

I did try another board from a different working hdd that is the same model and made the same day but it has a different firmware or something and the drive still would not spin up or make any noise at all.
the last digits on the white sticker on each board were different though, not sure if it is what made the drive not spin.

2601-701590-J00 AD XC 7K10 1UV3 J 0004100 0104 is from dead drive

2601-701590-J00 AD XC 7K10 4JW9 4 0005100 0105 from working drive

but the boards seem to be identical just different serial numbers i'm guessing

Shot at 2011-08-23

Shot at 2011-08-23
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: preamp Reply with quote

Your replacement board would not have given you access to your data, but it should have at least spun up the drive. Does it still work on your donor drive?

The damage to the SMOOTH chip is in the area that controls the DC-DC converters. Q2 and its associated components would constitute the Vcore supply for the MCU, while L3 and D2 would supply the negative voltage for the preamp.

The fact that the drive doesn't spin with the new board suggests that the preamp may be shorted. A simple test would be to place tape over the preamp contacts (J1, 20-pins). If this allows the motor to spin, then the preamp is bad.
Pacmanpc
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok put the tape over the pins like you said and used a working board and the drive spins up. if it is the pre amp like you said, what are my options for getting the drive repaired? im assuming it will be expensive. Have no idea who or where to get it fixed.
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: bad preamp Reply with quote

Sorry, but your preamp is bad, which means that the drive will need a head stack replacement. This is not something that you would do yourself.

Head Stack Replacement: Questions and Answers (Author: Stanislav
Korb):
http://hddguru.com/articles/2006.02.17-Changing-headstack-Q-and-A/

Furthermore, if the MCU is damaged, then its flash contents will need to be retrieved from the platters. This entails a lot of trial-and-error because the replacement PCB will need to be seeded with foreign ROM data, on a trial-and-error basis, until the platters can be accessed.

Another possible complication that affects certain WD models is that one of the cover screws may hold the head stack in place. If yours is one of these, then simply removing this screw, even on a working drive, will disturb the alignment enough to make your data inaccessible.
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too need one of this. But this is nowhere to be found. If you guys find one, please let me know too. I am in urgent need of one of the hard ware and a firmware transfer to go on with my project.

-------------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
anti snoring devices
-------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: